It’s Thankful Thursday on the Facebook page. This week, I decided to create a list.
1. Waking up in the morning – Each morning is a gift. When our eyes pop open (or slowly creak open, if you’re anything like me) in the morning, the first thought we should have is “thank you”.
2. Shelter – No matter how grandiose or sparse, protection from the elements is a blessing.
3. A hot shower – I can’t imagine how I would feel about myself if I wasn’t able to bathe everyday.
4. Food to eat – If you’re a child of the 80’s, you most certainly were affected by the images of starving children in Ethiopia in the “We Are the World” video. Some of us spend energy every day trying to decide what to eat for lunch while there are others who have no energy and wonder when their next meal will come.
5. Transportation – Whether you have your own car, or you have access to a good public transportation system, being able to get from Point A to Point B is something that should not be taken for granted. Imagine what your life would be like if you had to depend on someone else to take you everywhere you needed to go. Then imagine what life would be like if you didn’t have anyone that could take you everywhere you needed to go.
6. Health – When I was a kid, they used to always say in my church that you “should be thankful for even a modicum of health”. That was always followed with something like “When you complain about the pain in your feet, you should stop and think about the man who has no feet”.
7. Employment – I’ve known so many people over the past few years that experienced prolong periods of unemployment. We are living in tough times.
8. Safety – There are plenty of people who live in fear of a stray bullet, an abusive spouse, or a mentally ill child. If you and your family don’t have those things to worry about, you should be thankful.
9. Family – Even if they are crazy or dysfunctional, your family is the very first thing you could call your own. Knowing to whom you are connected is very important. They may not love you the way you want to be loved, but they love you the best they can.
10. Friends – They say friends are the family you choose for yourself. If you have just one friend that you can count on to laugh, cry, celebrate with you, count yourself as lucky.
What is on your Top 10 List?